Thursday, May 15, 2008

It begins... in a week and a half.

And we come to it. Here begins the story of the Beast, and his sojourn to the East. Like any good epic, it requires an introduction: call this Chapter 0, and page i.

Parental and popular demands have necessitated an internet-accessible log of my experiences; the latter to appease the 3 or so people who read my last blog, and the former to stay the effects of not calling home twice a day to confirm that Kim Jong Il hasn't made off with my kidneys.

For those unfamiliar with the details, here's some background info: I'll be working for Olympiad Academy in Seoul, South Korea, as a teacher of English as a foreign language. It's a year-long contract. They pay for my flights and an apartment. It's a pretty sweet gig.

The date of departure looms near, yet anxiety/excitement levels remain low. Tomorrow, I trek into town for supplies -- mostly clothing -- and get my final itinerary for the flight. The one forwarded me today by Hero (a name worth remembering, as he's my boss-to-be) had me leaving LAX a day earlier than we wanted, and on two separate planes. No, not connecting flights -- two planes that take off within half an hour of each other. Barring some alarming breakthroughs in quantum theory, it looks like Hero will just have to straighten things out tomorrow. I'm not a worrier. Worst case scenario, I'm in LA for a few days extra. I'll have to remember to capitalize on my last chance for Mexican food for a year or so.

Well, I'm getting tired. It's about 1 AM PST, which is... a different time in Seoul. I'll have to change my sleep schedule soon, but not yet.

- K

No comments: